Leipzig, Germany, Universitätsbibliothek, MS 1494
Provenance: C. 1490-1504. Possibly copied in Leipzig. According to inscription inside back cover, manuscript was bound in Leipzig on September 1, 1504, at the behest of Nikolaus Apel (c. 1470-1537). Apel came to Leipzig in 1492 as a student at the university; he later became a member of the faculty and served for a time as chancellor. The precise nature of Apel's relationship to the manuscript, other than his responsibility for its binding, has not been established. Apel was perhaps responsible for compiling the music, may have commissioned the work of the various scribes, and presumably played a role in the transmission of the manuscript to the Universitätsbibliothek.
1504, Leipzig, Germany
light brown leather over wood, with clasps
Decoration: original covers (back only): blind tooled and stamped
Endpapers: 1 front with pastedown, none in the back
original binding restored 1969 using original covers and boards Original covers of wooden boards partially covered with tooled leather; defective metal clasps. Inscription on spine: "Mensura." According to inscription inside back cover, manuscript was bound in Leipzig on September 1, 1504, at the behest of Nikolaus Apel (c. 1470-1537).