Florence, Italy, Conservatorio di Musica Luigi Cherubini, MS Basevi 2442
Provenance: 1. Bernardo di Jacopo Rinuccini, perhaps prepared at his instigation for presentation to Filippo Strozzi (b. 1489, d. 1538), Florentine patrician and banker, in 1527, the year of Strozzi's triumphal entry to Florence or thereafter during his voluntary exile from the city: inscription E'x liberalitate Bernardi Renuccini' (16th century, Tenor partbook f. Iv); golden crescent on the covers perhaps refer to the Strozzi arms (see Brown 1966); 2. Abramo Basevi (b. 1818, d. 1885) Italian musicologist and composer: bequeathed in his last will with his entire collection of books and manuscripts to the library of the Regio Istituto Musicale di Firenze, now Conservatorio di Musica 'Luigi Cherubini'.
16th century, Florence, Italy
brown leather over wood
Decoration: tooled floral ornament with gilt part designation and four crescents in corners
Endpapers: front and back: 1 endpaper with pastedown
All three volumes were rebound in modern bindings which use virtually identical original covers with ribbons, differentiated only by titles in gold letters 'CANTUS', 'TENOR' and 'ALTUS'. A stamp 'Latteri & Betti Restauratori Firenze' (back pastedown) records conservation works.